Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" -

5 posters

Go down

"The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" - Empty "The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" -

Post  Khephra Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 am

See Time.com for the complete article.

When he first heard about a Vatican-sponsored course on exorcism for priests, journalist Matt Baglio was intrigued by the idea of this ancient ritual taking place in the modern world. In his new book, The Rite, Baglio follows American priest Father Gary — sent to Rome to train as an exorcist — and his apprenticeship with Father Carmine. Baglio talked to TIME about belief, skeptical priests and the particulars of the exorcism ritual.

TIME: The thing that inspired this book was a class on exorcism. Tell me about it.

BAGLIO: I was a freelance journalist living in Rome and had heard about this course called Exorcism and the Prayer of Liberation. It was organized by the Legion of Christ and their school, the Regina Apostolorum, which is Vatican-affiliated. Not knowing anything about exorcism or if the Church even still believed in it, I was intrigued by the idea of a university-level course teaching priests about exorcism.

What were your first thoughts about the class? Did you think, Wait a minute, this is the 21st century. Why are we even still talking about exorcism?

Absolutely. My first thought was, Why is the church doing this class? Is it just a p.r. stunt? But then I saw that a lot of the course work itself was very theologically and historically based. None of it was practical, which is why Father Gary had to eventually go out and apprentice with a veteran exorcist, Father Carmine. The course would bring in experts — experts in satanic cults, experts in criminology, they even had a psychiatrist come in to talk to the priests about the differences between the various mental illnesses that could be confused for demonic possession vs. what the church says is actually demonic possession.

As we understand more and more about multiple personalities, epilepsy, schizophrenia and other mental illnesses, doesn't demonic possession get explained away?

There's a definite degree to which that's true. You can't deny the fact that many illnesses in the past were misunderstood. The church has to be very careful about confusing mental illness with demonic possession.

When you started the book, did you lean one way or another in terms of whether or not you believed in the possibility of exorcism?

I came at this topic very journalistically, not having an opinion for or against it. I wanted to really understand what it is and why the church still believes in it. But even exorcists themselves admit that 90% of the people that come to see them don't need an exorcism. There still remains a small percentage of cases, however, involving levitation, mind-reading and other paranormal phenomena that can't be explained through science. Maybe one day.
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

"The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" - Empty Re: "The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" -

Post  ezavan Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:01 pm

speaking of exorcism, does anybody have good ideas for "spirit" bait? most people who claim they need an exorcism or claim that a place is "haunted" are projecting their own internal "demons" of delusion and frustration, but recently i have encountered a case which appears to be a legitimate extradimensional entity. complaints have come to me from several people who have lived in the same location at different times, there have been cases of manifestation in nightmares or night terrors, possession leading to seizures, manipulating or disguising objects, blanket negativity (everyone reports being "brought down" by certain places), changes in temperature, and auditory hallucinations. the clairvoyant that i work with has reported what she calls a hole in space wandering the building. another magician with whom i am acquainted came to do a consultation and was visited in hallucination by a dark-skinned feminine personality with an indeterminable temperament. my intention is to trap this entity in the confines of a piece of quartz. whether or not you think this is possible or advisable, i need some ideas on objects, rituals, or WHATEVER - that might attract an entity to occupy the same physical space as me so that i can plunge a crystal into the center of its energy field thus giving it a physical base. i understand that very few people have hands-on experience with something like this, from what i can tell it's exceedingly rare, but any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

"The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" - Empty Re: "The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" -

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Hrmm... Do you have any experience working in the Solomonic tradition?
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  ezavan Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

as in goetic charms and evocations? i have some experience working within that paradigm, but only really in order to terrify myself - fear is a powerful motivator. i haven't worked very extensively within that world, tho, what's your thought?
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 am

Yeah, there's plenty of 'spirit binding' in Solomonic magick.
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

"The Story of a Modern-Day Exorcist" - Empty Who's your daddy!

Post  oipteaapdoce Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:04 pm

I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to trap the spirit in a crystal or brass vessel as I don't think it would work in this case. From the description I'm guessing the spirit is a dead (human). I have found that good ol salt water sprinkled around (just pick a good exorcism to say while doing it), then burning frankincense immediately afterwards. This may need to be repeated many times at first as this seems to be a nasty spirit. I would also say unless it's a good friend or relative living in that house, to just leave things be unless you are very experienced in such things.

Athena
--
www.enochian.org

oipteaapdoce

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Keser-Malchus Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:23 am

I have found psalm 91 to work in almost all cases. It should be said seven times. It will give the spirit closure. It should be said for the soul not as a banishing tool or it will not work.

Keser-Malchus

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down