Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"On the Purpose of Rituals in Thelema"

Go down

"On the Purpose of Rituals in Thelema" Empty "On the Purpose of Rituals in Thelema"

Post  Khephra Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:50 pm

From iao131:

When doing some practice or ritual, if one is a Thelemite then one must always ask this question:

How does this help the fulfillment of my Will?

Too many times do Thelemites perform ceremonial rituals and yoga practices for some aim other than the fulfillment of their Wills.

Thelema often speaks of Initiation, the Great Work, Knowledge & Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel, Nothing/Naught/None, union of opposites, etc. which represents the attainment of the "consciousness of the continuity of existence" wherein one becomes "chief of all," insofar as one becomes identified with the All. The Universe and the Self are understood as one Thing, a state of non-duality. This unity is called "Nothing" because it is continuous (see Liber AL vel Legis I:22-23, 26-30). This is the First Step or the Next Step. One's Will is the dynamic nature of the Self: if you don't fully know the nature of that Self, then one cannot fully express that nature.

Therefore, attainment of "the consciousness of continuity of existence" must be every aspirant's First Aim. "There is a single main definition of the object of all magical Ritual. It is the uniting of the Microcosm with the Macrocosm. The Supreme and Complete Ritual is therefore the Invocation of the Holy Guardian Angel; or, in the language of Mysticism, Union with God. All other magical Rituals are particular cases of this general principle..." (Magick in Theory and Practice). If one seeks the Will of the True Self, one must attain to that True Self. "The True Self is the meaning of the True Will: know thyself through Thy Way" ("The Heart of the Master"). In this way, all Acts must be done "To me," with the intention of the attainment of Infinity in one's mind.

Once one has attained to 'Naught' (Solve), then one's task is the formulation of that Divinity in motion (Coagula). The True Self has been attained, now it must express itself in the world. "To me" now takes on a new meaning: All Acts must be done as an acknowledgement of that Infinity, as a fulfillment of one of its Possibilities. "To me" means treating all Acts as sacred... as participation in the Joyful Sacrament of Existence. Further, since the Higher (the attainment of unity of perception) has been attained and solidified, the Lower must be consolidated. The mind and body must be fortified and enhanced by all means. The Book of the Law says "Wisdom says: be strong! Then canst thou bear more joy." The mind and body are the means of manifestation of Divinity in the world; they are the means by which the All may become self-aware of itself in the Many. Therefore just as a polished diamond may reflect light more clearly, so must the mind and body be "polished" to reflect the Supernal Light more purely. One must "Contemplate your own Nature," "Explore the Nature and Powers of your own Being," and "Develop in due harmony and proportion every faculty which you posses" ("Duty"). The body must be strong and healthy, and the mind must be elastic and ever-expanding in its limits & knowledge. Not only must one's faculties be strong, but one must always "exceed! exceed!" You must "Go... unto the outermost places and subdue all things" ("Liber LXV") and "Extend the dominion of your consciousness, and its control of all forces alien to it, to the utmost" ("Duty"). This must always be done with the fulfillment of one's Will in mind as the impetus; whether one is attempting to attain to Unity or attempting to fortify the mind and body to fashion a suitable vehicle for Divinity to manifest is up to the individual.

We've seen that all ritual, yoga, or any workings must be towards the end of the fulfillment of the Will. First, "the consciousness of the continuity of existence" must be attained, and secondly one's mind and body must be strengthened, fortified, explored, contemplated, and their dominion extended. The former might be called the Mystic Half of the Path, and the latter might be called the Magick Half of the Path. Either way, both the Higher and the Lower must be attained "For Perfection abideth not in the Pinnacles, or in the Foundations, but in the ordered Harmony of one with all" ("Liber Causae"). If an Act is not made "To me," either as a desire of one's spirit to unite with All Things or as a rapturous love-cry coming from the joy of participation in the World... "if the ritual be not ever unto me: then expect the direful judgments of Ra Hoor Khuit!"

"There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt."
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down