Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Myers-Briggs personality assessment

+2
Hadrianswall
Frater_NS
6 posters

Go down

Myers-Briggs personality assessment Empty Myers-Briggs personality assessment

Post  Frater_NS Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:37 am

I've just completed a (Myers-Briggs) personality type assessment and have come out as a INTJ. A personality type which is shared with 1-2%? of the worlds population.

Apparently, I'm a perfectionist and love attention to detail! I think it also explains why I drive my wife crazy. Twisted Evil I am also well suited to my chosen profession as an engineer. geek

I wonder if other magical practitioners - especially in the more theoretical traditions (e.g. GD, OTO, AA, AS) have similar personality types?

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Myers-Briggs personality assessment Empty Re: Myers-Briggs personality assessment

Post  Frater_NS Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:09 am

Here is a link to an online test:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Frater_NS

Back to top Go down

Myers-Briggs personality assessment Empty Re: Myers-Briggs personality assessment

Post  Hadrianswall Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:21 am

ESFP
what can I say? gotta dance bounce
So we are polar opposites then.

Does the Meyer-Briggs have a practical application in terms of 'the Work', or in other words how deep can you go with it?

Hadrianswall

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Frater_NS Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:06 am

Yeah a "ESFP" is the polar opposite to "INTJ"!!! Suspect

Hadrianswall wrote:ESFP
Does the Meyer-Briggs have a practical application in terms of 'the Work', or in other words how deep can you go with it?

Very good question! I don't know the answer Smile

I am interested particularly in does your personality type change over time during "the Work". *shrug*

I have tried to "objectively" measure my good/bad personality traits over a period of 5 years. By using a standard exercise (completed every 6 months) you can obverse changes in your personality traits over times. By using this exercise in conjunction with the timing of initiations & ritual work - you can work out patterns over time.

The exercise I use was first published by the occultist Franz Bardon. Its been reproduced reproduced here. You basically though introspection determine your good/bad personality traits, then assign them to an element (Fire, Water, Air, Earth). What you do then is up to you.

Frater_NS

Back to top Go down

Post  Hadrianswall Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:57 am

very nice website, thanks for the link.

Perhaps the most useful and rewarding exercise for me in this regards has been the writing of an 'emotional auto-biography'.

By this I mean you write your biography not from a factual, sequential or objective point of view, but rather focus on the flow of memories and the emotions and actions connected to them. (obviously all memories are subjective but here we don’t try to impose an objective overview onto them).

It is amazing the things which rise to the surface and the things which don’t. The slightest of incidents can still carry with them an emotional charge that sets your system whirling while big life incidents can seem inconsequential and are missed out completely in the writing.

Centering, deep-breathing , going with the flow, and a going into of the rising emotions as opposed to the reporting of them seems to be the key for getting the most out of it.

Apart from the cathartic value of this type of psychic spring cleaning, in reading over the document you can quite clearly see, your 'ego patterns', that is to say your fixed and habitual responses, on an inner as well as outer level, as well as what could be classed as defining characteristics of your personality – envious, judgmental, superior, quick-tempered etc

I try to write one every 5 years or so (it doesn’t have to be huge 6-12 pages can be enough) but this can be supported by an emotional diary, which is much like the popular ‘evening review’ exercise but committed to paper. (fun - because in hindsight you can really see how influenced your interpretation of events are by cognitive error and invested participation)

All in all a great way to see how sad, petty and screwed up you really are. Very Happy

Hadrianswall

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2008-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:21 pm

I've scored as INTJ consistently for the last 6 years, but my J has slowly diffused into borderline P. I see that progress as related to my path and magick.

iacchus should have some incisive commentary on this topic...
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  iacchus Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:55 pm

I scored INFJ, a counselor idealist.
Having said that, I really have never cared much for the M-B personality test.
Maybe that is a bit harsh. I think that the test is useful for some general ideas about someone at the time that they take the test, if they are honest in taking it. Also, I think that the test fares better as a tool if given orally where one can gauge the answers given, since some of the questions can be somewhat ambivalent.
Generally, I find that the more balanced one is, the less well these sorts of tests fare in providing useful information. I have always felt that a person should be able to make decisions from whatever personality sphere is best suited for a desired outcome. There are not any closed areas of psycho-emotional landscape for those who decide to explore. Like the zodiac, it is not the goal to be the best expression of your house, but to nurture all houses equally within yourself.

The test is useful, but many consider it to be much more powerful a tool than it is. This goes for all of the personality tests I have had experience with. One must keep in mind also that these tests are usually meant to be administered by someone trained to give it in a very precise manner. This keeps certain variables from creeping in due to discrepancies between how the tests are taken.

It is a long standing goal of the psychological community to find the perfect pigeon hole exam. Some very advanced and complex tests do pretty well. For what it is, I prefer the M-B to the big 5 or 7, but doubt it is as useful as the MMPI for certain assessment goals. All of them have their focus, and as a typological indicator, I do like Jung's system. It has the advantage of well thought out types.

Frankly, for those trying to reprogram or plum personal depths, as many of us here are, its a whatever works best for you type of situation. The words of the great Sri Syadasti Syadavaktavya Syadasti Syannasti Syadasti Cavaktavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavatavyasca Syadasti Syannasti Syadavaktavyasca hold true as well here as anywhere.

(I'm not sure if that was the incisive commentary you thought I could provide Kheph farao , but thats what I come to after a few beers and seeing the post.
Your experience w/ the test is a fine example of its practical usefulness. jocolor king jocolor )
iacchus
iacchus

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Chakravanti Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:56 am

for 1-2% INTJ's must just LOVE forums. I met another on another forum. Scoring INTJ myself. (Albiet, Judging:1) Makes sense I suppose, though I prefer not to be autocratic I tend to end up in such roles (Storyteller in my RPG's, debate intiator, etc.)
Chakravanti
Chakravanti

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Is this the first time you've scored INTJ?
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Whitemaleseekingnothing Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:14 pm

The important thing to remember about MB is, first and foremost, you are not an INTJ (or whatever else you happen to be). Each pairing (Introvert/Extrovert, Sensing/Intuitive, Thinking/Feeling Judging/Precieving) is merely a preference. Everyone uses each, it's just a question of which you lean most heavily on.

As for how it fares as a test, I rather like how well Meyers and Briggs distilled Jung's ideas so simply, but beyond that, I'd say it's about as accurate as anything else. Keep it within the context of tool rather than who you are.

Whitemaleseekingnothing

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-12-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Chakravanti Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Khephra wrote:Is this the first time you've scored INTJ?

I score pretty consistantly INTJ. I took those tests as a kid and was just digging through some of my psychiatric papers from being institutionalized as a kid. Judging used to be higher though but not by much.
Chakravanti
Chakravanti

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2008-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down