Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will"

5 posters

Go down

Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will" Empty Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will"

Post  neutralrobotboy Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 am

This post outlines some of my thoughts relating to how "free will" is viewed. I'm not sure how interesting fellow digimobsters might find it, but here it is anyhow:

http://nis-esoterica.blogspot.com/2010/01/free-will.html

What do I hope the reader will take away from all this this? I guess a few things, but these three in particular:

1. Free will is not a boolean value.

2. Judgment of others is a tricky matter. What functions does the other person have real control over, and to what degree? You do not know. Know yourself first.

3. You (yes, YOU!) (YES! YOU!) do not have control over the mechanisms of your being. You function largely as a reactive biological machine (just like how you think all those other stupid people work). This is true regardless of your education. By increasing your awareness and calming yourself down, some aspects of this condition may be partially alleviated.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will" Empty Re: Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will"

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:25 pm

Read any Descartes?
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will" Empty Re: Blog post -- A post relating to so-called "free will"

Post  sendoshin Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:45 pm

I think it is important to read the entire blog post, because you make some very good points. "Free will" isn't something you have or don't. It's a degree of control over yourself - and your environment. Whether that freedom truly exists or is but mere illusion is beside the point that it, as you say, isn't a boolean (on/off, for those not versed in computers/electronics or logic) value. Quite insightful post.

- Sendoshin
sendoshin
sendoshin

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://digimob.freewebhostx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:25 pm

ankh_f_n_khonsu wrote:Read any Descartes?

What little I've read has left me much more impressed with his mathematical mind than his philosophy; though I'm not a mathematician, so maybe I'm easily impressed there. Actually, I kinda have been left with the impression that he was a philosophical idiot, and I'm astounded at how long some of his ideas have been taken seriously... Why exactly do you ask?

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Oh, no, I wouldn't recommend him without caveats, but his writings on free will seem like they'd be relevant to your line of reflection.
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Frater_NS Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:46 pm

My 2 cents worth.

Most people spend the majority of their life completely asleep and in many their Nephesh is entirely in the driving seat.

How can these people claim "free will" if they are oblivious of why they react, think, behave and have emotions responses?

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  sendoshin Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:29 pm

Probably because they are oblivious that they should even ask such questions, or that there might be answers.

- Sendoshin
sendoshin
sendoshin

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://digimob.freewebhostx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Frater_NS Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Sleep

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:42 pm

To add further credence to Fr. N.S.'s observation (not that it necessarily needs any), Gurdjieff argued quite similarly - he called it the 'Law of Accident':

Gurdjieff taught that man in his undeveloped state was subject to the law of accident. Unless we are able to take our lives in hand with consciousness and will, we cannot effectively do anything; we are bounced around by circumstance like coins in a pocket. And it was precisely to exempt oneself from this law of accident that one undertook the Work. (Lumen)
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down