Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" -

3 posters

Go down

"“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" - Empty "“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" -

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:47 pm

See Skeptiko for the interview:

“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments

Claims of telepathy, ESP and other psi phenomena are a mainstay of popular culture but taboo in neuroscience research circles. Fortunately, Dr. Michael Persinger of Canada’s Laurentian University has never been afraid to venture where other researchers fear to go. In the 1980’s Persinger made headlines with his “God Helmet”, a device that stimulates temporal lobes with a weak magnetic field in order to produce religious states.

Now, Persinger has discovered the same type of brain stimulation can create metal states conducive to human telepathy. “What we have found is that if you place two different people at a distance and put a circular magnetic field around both, and you make sure they are connected to the same computer so they get the same stimulation, then if you flash a light in one person’s eye the person in the other room receiving just the magnetic field will show changes in their brain as if they saw the flash of light. We think that’s tremendous because it may be the first macro demonstration of a quantum connection, or so-called quantum entanglement. If true, then there’s another way of potential communication that may have physical applications, for example, in space travel.”

While Persinger’s experiments could prove groundbreaking, he remains doubtful about his controversial findings reaching his colleagues, “I think the critical thing about science is to be open-minded. It’s really important to realize that the true subject matter of science is the pursuit of the unknown. Sadly scientists have become extraordinarily group-oriented. Our most typical critics are not are mystic believer types. They are scientists who have a narrow vision of what the world is like.”

Skeptiko is one of my all-time favorite podcasts. I don't always agree with Alex - or his guests - but I've sure learned a lot by listening to his show.
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

"“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" - Empty Re: "“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" -

Post  neutralrobotboy Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm

If these claims are true, that's really cool.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

"“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" - Empty Re: "“God Helmet” Inventor, Dr. Michael Persinger Discovers Telepathy Link in Lab Experiments" -

Post  Khephra Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I've been listening to Skeptiko since his first episode. He's come a long way since then. Like you, I've learned a lot by listening to his podcast, and recommend it often.
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 am

I finally got around to listening to this... I found it really disappointing. He didn't let the guy talk very much about his research. I found the arguing about NDEs really pointless. That's the sort of discussion you can have with anyone.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Alex annoys me sometimes, too. He gets up on his soap box and sometimes I really wish he'd just shut up and let his guest talk.

But I think he does an exemplary job of introducing guests and following-up with concepts. Well, sort of, I guess. Way back when there was talk of an "open source" experiment with mediums (whatever happened to that?), and another with dogs who know when their owners are coming home (this one has been periodically updated), and a few of proposed collaborations with Skeptics Guide to the Universe (whatever happened to these?), and all sorts of other etc.

And then, to be honest, some of the interviewees just don't appeal to me. Sometimes it seems like they need a good dose of critical thinking. Smile

So I've got qualms, yeah. But I'd be hard-pressed to name another podcast that covers the same material as well.
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down