Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms -

3 posters

Go down

Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms - Empty Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms -

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 pm

Alchemy Website:
April 15, 2009

I also received an email from some promoter of hallucinogenic mushrooms. His website provides all sorts of justifications and encouragment for people to use these dangerous toxins. He refers often on his website to alchemical ideas and indicates that the use of hallucinogenics was, in some way, a key part of alchemy. I have spent 61 years developing my brain cells, and find it rather unsettling that someone would want to take an untested poisonous substance of which they know nothing, with the aim of messing up the chemical balance of their brains. I have sadly, like most people, come across the casualities created by drug abuse. Back in the late 70's while I was in Edinburgh, I remember one friend who got totally absorbed in these magic mushrooms. Eventually he became so weird that I just could no longer bear to be in his company. One wishes that this absurdity had died out in the 1970s and it saddened me to see someone today using alchemy as a justification for experimenting in the use of dangerous hallucinogenic substances. People can be so self-delusive and sadly, in this case this is coupled with self-destructive. People like this, promoting the use of such untested toxins, seem totally unaware of the responsibility they are taking on themselves and the lives they will ruin. Just how many casualities will result ten years down the line? Obviously they are so blind to this that they don't care. I, for one, like to treat my brain cells well, and not fry them along with the mushrooms.

Shocked Mad
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms - Empty Re: Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms -

Post  amandachen Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:47 am

Adam McLean speaks ABOUT psychedelic mushrooms Very Happy
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms - Empty Re: Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms -

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Perhaps a regional preference, but no less grammatically correct. Wink

No reaction to his position?
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:48 am

Hey, I didn't mean to offend anyone. It's just that the title is ambiguous. It's a bit like saying 'Adam McLean speaks on the moon'.

Anyway, I'd tend to agree with Adam's comments. People use all sorts of 'occult' or 'spiritual' justifications for their strange actions. And this just spreads misinformation about these subjects.

In my area of study there's Timothy Leary's The Psychedelic Experience, which is his interpretation of the Tibetan Book of the Dead! And think about how Westerners tend to misunderstand terms such as tantra, Zen, kungfu, yoga,...

There have always been people who spout BS about occult subjects, and that's one of the reasons that the occult stays hidden.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:36 pm

English is full of ambiguity. It definitely keeps things interesting. Wink

In reading the comment, I'm immediately struck with his choice of words: "dangerous toxins", "untested poisonous substance", "hallucinogenics", etc. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

First, "hallucinogen" denies greater subtext, and implies a limited, superficial experience. Other terms that have been applied have greater consonance with more of the experimental data: "entheogen", "mysticomimetic", "oneirogen", etc. Hallucinations are induced by an altogether different class of antecedents.

Second, most - if not all - entheogens have direct analogs to neuropeptides found within the human brain. Saying that they're "dangerous toxins" is about as reasonable as saying that carbon dioxide is a "dangerous toxin". He obviously doesn't recognize his position as self-loathing, but that makes it nonetheless so.

Third, and perhaps most crucially, when he suggests that "hallucinogenic mushrooms" are "untested poisonous substances", he is completely and utterly wrong. We have an uninterrupted chain of recorded experimentation stretching back at least 60,000 years. Mr. McLean is either unaware of the history, or projecting his bias.

Fourth, to insinuate that entheogens weren't used by any Medieval European alchemists seems inappropriate. We have recorded use of "hallucinogenic mushrooms" in Europe for at least 40,000 years. Obviously, this wouldn't have been the most prevalent form of alchemical practice, but assuming that they were so ignorant of their local history seems rather inappropriate.

Any way you slice it, Mr. McLean might do well to delve further into the histories.

Cheers for dragging that up, Ankh! Wink
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:24 pm

Khephra wrote:In reading the comment, I'm immediately struck with his choice of words: "dangerous toxins", "untested poisonous substance", "hallucinogenics", etc. He obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Adam McLean speaks on psychedelic mushrooms - 633795040694630965ignor

Wink
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down