Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag

4 posters

Go down

Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag Empty Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag

Post  neutralrobotboy Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:36 pm

Another blog post, about John Dee. Mostly a short ramble about what disturbs me about his influential Five Books of Mystery.

http://nis-esoterica.blogspot.com/2009/12/john-dee-genius-and-douchebag.html

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag Empty Re: Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag

Post  Frater_NS Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

I posted this reply on the blog...

The problem with scrying and channeling is the message, which originates in the Qaballistic work of Briah – a place of no form, has to be interpreted by a human. Humans are not perfect channels, and the message can be garbled on the way to Assiah. It’s very likely of Dee/Kelly’s thoughts and opinions made it into the scrying text.

It seems a shame the entirely of Dee’s work is judged, based on a few entries which are personally unfavorable to you.

I recommend you work with the Enochian system for some time before dismissing it so casually.

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag Empty Re: Blog post -- John Dee, Genius and Douchebag

Post  neutralrobotboy Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:15 am

Neat. I posted a reply. Holding the same conversation in two places seems... less than ideal, though. Anyhow, here's what I said:

Hey, thanks for stoppin' by! I don't know that I'd say I was trying to dismiss the Enochian system entirely. I mentioned that it seems it must yield worthwhile results for a lot of people, which I take as good reason to give it an honest try.

For now, though, it's not terribly high on my priorities list. And that's not because of my opinion of some of Dee and Kelley's message-garbling, but just because of where my interests lie. I was maybe hoping on some level that the Enochian system would appeal to me more as a result of my readings, but the reverse seems to have been true.

neutralrobotboy

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:27 am

I didn't understand the bit about being a douchebag.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:10 am

neutralrobotboy wrote:Neat. I posted a reply. Holding the same conversation in two places seems... less than ideal, though.

Perhaps, but look how much more attention it's brought to the topic. Wink
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:11 pm

amandachen wrote:I didn't understand the bit about being a douchebag.

Partly sensationalism, just to be funny; partly relating to his role in getting the British Empire up and running, and his relationship to their involvement in the New World, with its cringe-worthy missionary ideals and mind-boggling genocide. But I guess hindsight is 20-20, and he couldn't have known that he would be turning his homeland into the world's biggest jerk brigade. At the time, I guess the concern was the Spanish and the Papacy, so it's understandable, really. (That sounds sarcastic. It's not meant to be.)

Khephra wrote:
neutralrobotboy wrote:Neat. I posted a reply. Holding the same conversation in two places seems... less than ideal, though.

Perhaps, but look how much more attention it's brought to the topic. Wink

True enough. It's not really a big problem, copy+pasting is not that hard. Ok, my comment there was useless. RETRACTED! Hehe.

neutralrobotboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Frater_NS Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:48 pm

neutralrobotboy wrote:
Partly sensationalism, just to be funny; partly relating to his role in getting the British Empire up and running, and his relationship to their involvement in the New World, with its cringe-worthy missionary ideals and mind-boggling genocide. But I guess hindsight is 20-20, and he couldn't have known that he would be turning his homeland into the world's biggest jerk brigade. At the time, I guess the concern was the Spanish and the Papacy, so it's understandable, really. (That sounds sarcastic. It's not meant to be.)

Its easy to look back on history and pass judgment.
You know neutralrobotboy, if this quote was taken out of context it could equally be applied to the modern USA.

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:46 am

Frater_NS wrote:Its easy to look back on history and pass judgment.
You know neutralrobotboy, if this quote was taken out of context it could equally be applied to the modern USA.

In spirit at least, I agree with you here. Actually, I regard the founding fathers of the USA as a much idealized bunch, many of whom probably do not deserve their reputations.

neutralrobotboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down