Yoga Nidra- the Sleep of Sages

Go down

Yoga Nidra- the Sleep of Sages Empty Yoga Nidra- the Sleep of Sages

Post  emperorzombie on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32 pm

it is said...

...that a fool who goes to sleep awakens but a fool, but a fool who goes into deep sleep(yoga nidra) awakens a Sage.

Post your experiences/techniques/findings
emperorzombie
emperorzombie

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Back to top Go down

Yoga Nidra- the Sleep of Sages Empty Re: Yoga Nidra- the Sleep of Sages

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am

I think this is an interesting take on a particular form of illumination, but there is more.

'Enlightenment', by necessity has an antithesis - which is what they're referring to in 'sleep'. But there is more than one way to wake up. This poetic description isn't of a very ecstatic orientation, which is a bit more my schtick. Wink
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  emperorzombie on Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm

in a general summary the system is a technique where you train the mind to stay awake while the body sleeps. reality is seen as having 4 states, corresponding to OM spelled as AUM. A=waking U=dreaming M=deep dreamless sleep AUM= 4th state turiya.
took me about 2 months to get a working understanding/practice.

its a concentration exercise at first with rotating awareness through the different body parts, then breath awareness, then thought awareness, so on.

sufficient mastery brings control of dreaming (im almost there) and glimpses of what underlays thoughts. a weird state of awareness where your aware but if you think about it you loose it comes about. hard to put in words. also a feeling of emptiness 'behind/inside' the self.

the Mandukya Upanishad explains the AUM part of it.
it is a great relaxation technique but thats like saying an airplane is fun to sit in, there is just far more to it than that.
emperorzombie
emperorzombie

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra on Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 am

emperorzombie wrote:in a general summary the system is a technique where you train the mind to stay awake while the body sleeps. reality is seen as having 4 states, corresponding to OM spelled as AUM. A=waking U=dreaming M=deep dreamless sleep AUM= 4th state turiya.

Ever try any of Weor's systems?

"Sacred Activism is the fusion of the mystic's passion for God with the activist's passion for justice, creating a third fire, which is the burning sacred heart that longs to help, preserve, and nurture every living thing." - Andrew Harvey
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  emperorzombie on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 am

no i havent whats woer about?
emperorzombie
emperorzombie

Back to top Go down

Post  digicamghosts on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:00 am

I have done Yoga Nidra successfully once or twice. It is highly refreshing and relaxing, best practiced in the early morning when there is no chance of you falling asleep. But if you practice when you are already tired and half asleep, chances are that you will fall asleep when you are halfway through it.

digicamghosts

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum