Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you currently reading?

+18
ezavan
Funk
amandachen
luxigni
Aelwyn
ankh_f_n_khonsu
Folckert
plutopsyche
Khephra
SoyCello
neutralrobotboy
MysteryStudent
Hadrianswall
RChMI
rickyrick
Frater Feeze Fissile
Liqueriana
Frater_NS
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you currently reading?

Post  amandachen Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:18 am

Oh, you guys like Dick?
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What are you currently reading?

Post  Khephra Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:52 am

amandachen wrote:Oh, you guys like Dick?

Errr... Sometimes? Suspect Shocked Laughing

Following an end-of-the-year romp with De Sade, I'm starting 2010 with Farid ud-Din Attar's "The Conference of the Birds":

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 2j43wo0

Like Rumi and Hafiz, the name Attar conjures up images of passionate attraction to the divine. Attar was a Persian Sufi of the 12th century and his masterpiece is The Conference of the Birds, an epic allegory of the seeker's journey to God. When all the birds of the world convene and determine that they lack a king, one bird steps forward and offers to lead them to a great and mighty monarch. Initially excited, each bird falters in turn, whereupon the leader admonishes them with well-targeted parables. These pithy tales are the delight of this 4,500-line poem, translated deftly into rhymed couplets. What is your excuse for not seeking God? Your life is fine already? You prefer material pleasure? You are holy enough? You have pride, lack courage, or are burdened with responsibility? Attar has an answer to encourage you on the path to the promised land. And when you get there, the king may not be what you'd expect, but you must make the journey to see. (Amazon)
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:47 pm

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 61Pbv1xGTcL._SL500_AA240_

Stories to Caution the World (A Ming Dynasty Collection)
One of three collections of stories by Feng Menglong (1574-1645). This volume is interesting because it has an early form of the Madame White Snake story - maybe some of you have seen the movies and tv shows based on this tale.

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 GreenSnake%2B1993-3-b

Pu Songling (1640-1715) is another influential story collector. Great if you like tales of ghosts and fox spirits.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:53 am

amandachen wrote:Oh, you guys like Dick?

I LOVE Dick! I'm a big Dick fan. I can sit with my eyes on a good Dick for hours. You can quote me on that.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 am

That looks very interesting, Amandachen!
Khephra
Khephra

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm currently getting my fill of "spirituality" related text while researching Jung's scholarship, so I'm adding some flavour to my daily readings by finally dipping into the literature of "the most dangerous philosopher in the West", Slavoj Žižek:

Sadly, no crisp images available. Sad

Adrian Johnston, Zizek's Ontology: A Transcendental Materialist Theory of Subjectivity:

Slavoj Žižek is one of the most interesting and important philosophers working today, known chiefly for his theoretical explorations of popular culture and contemporary politics. This book focuses on the generally neglected and often overshadowed philosophical core of Žižek’s work—an essential component in any true appreciation of this unique thinker’s accomplishment.

His central concern, Žižek has proclaimed, is to use psychoanalysis (especially the teachings of Jacques Lacan) to redeploy the insights of late-modern German philosophy, in particular, the thought of Kant, Schelling, and Hegel. By taking this avowal seriously, Adrian Johnston finally clarifies the philosophical project underlying Žižek’s efforts. His book charts the interlinked ontology and theory of subjectivity constructed by Žižek at the intersection of German idealism and Lacanian theory. Johnston also uses Žižek’s combination of philosophy and psychoanalysis to address two perennial philosophical problems: the relationship of mind and body, and the nature of human freedom. By bringing together the past two centuries of European philosophy, psychoanalytic metapsychology, and cutting-edge work in the natural sciences, Johnston develops a transcendental materialist theory of subjectivity—in short, an account of how more-than-material forms of subjectivity can emerge from a corporeal being. His work shows how an engagement with Žižek’s philosophy can produce compelling answers to today’s most vexing and urgent questions as inherited from the history of ideas.
Khephra
Khephra

Back to top Go down

Post  plutopsyche Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:59 am

I'm currently reading White Stains (dreadful, the charges against Crowley's poetry are duly confirmed here); Consider the Lobster, by David Foster Wallace (eyes bleeding now from the excessive footnoting); Lolita, by Nabokov (actually, just the introduction t the moment); and, of course, Quantum Psychology by Robert Anton Wilson for the book club.

Later tonight I must pick up A Room with a View for my other, non-esoteric book club, as that group meets in a couple of weeks.
plutopsyche
plutopsyche

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-01-31

http://www.plutonica.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Having fun wading into Žižek's oeuvre. Smile

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 B9hqp3

Zizek is hailed as the most significant interdisciplinary thinker of modern times. His work is a powerful, often explosive combination of Lacanian psychoanalysis and philosophy which tests key psychoanalytical concepts against the ideas of major European thinkers, especially Hegel. It has ignited enthusiasm and stimulated new approaches across a vast range of disciplines, and seems to be attracting an ever-growing readership. In part, this is because Zizek himself has a panoramic range of interests encompassing film studies, literature, cyber culture, ethics, theology and, above all, politics. It is also because he is a highly entertaining writer, having a flair for anecdote, a smutty sense of humour and the knack of capturing complex ideas in concrete form.

Sarah Kay's book provides a lucid and comprehensive introduction to Zizek's work. His writings to date are presented and evaluated here for the first time, together with an outline of their development and explanations of his key premises, themes and terms. This book will be essential reading for students of cultural studies, literary studies, philosophy and social and political theory. - (Amazon)
Khephra
Khephra

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 pm

I've listened to some of Zizek's lectures, but his writing? Shocked

Here's what I'm currently reading:

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 2la69dv

It touched lives as disparate as those of Frederick Douglass, Franklin Roosevelt, and Mary Todd Lincoln—who once convinced her husband, Abe, to host a séance in the White House. Americans all, they were among the famous figures whose paths intertwined with the mystical and esoteric movement broadly known as the occult. Brought over from the Old World and spread throughout the New by some of the most obscure but gifted men and women of early U.S. history, this “hidden wisdom” transformed the spiritual life of the still-young nation and, through it, much of the Western world.

Yet the story of the American occult has remained largely untold. Now a leading writer on the subject of alternative spirituality brings it out of the shadows. Here is a rich, fascinating, and colorful history of a religious revolution and an epic of offbeat history.

From the meaning of the symbols on the one-dollar bill to the origins of the Ouija board, Occult America briskly sweeps from the nation’s earliest days to the birth of the New Age era and traces many people and episodes, including:

•The spirit medium who became America’s first female religious leader in 1776
•The supernatural passions that marked the career of Mormon prophet Joseph Smith
•The rural Sunday-school teacher whose clairvoyant visions instigated the dawn of the New Age
•The prominence of mind-power mysticism in the black-nationalist politics of Marcus Garvey
•The Idaho druggist whose mail-order mystical religion ranked as the eighth-largest faith in the world during the Great Depression

Here, too, are America’s homegrown religious movements, from transcendentalism to spiritualism to Christian Science to the positive-thinking philosophy that continues to exert such a powerful pull on the public today. A feast for believers in alternative spirituality, an eye-opener for anyone curious about the unknown byroads of American history, Occult America is an engaging, long-overdue portrait of one nation, under many gods, whose revolutionary influence is still being felt in every corner of the globe.
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:39 pm

ankh_f_n_khonsu wrote:I've listened to some of Zizek's lectures, but his writing? Shocked

He kicks my ass. The most difficult author I've ever read. But I do find it very rewarding, so maybe it's another indication of my masochistic tendencies. Suspect

I've heard Occult America was a good read. I hope you'll report back on how you enjoyed it?
Khephra
Khephra

Back to top Go down

Post  Folckert Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm

I just finished A Depth of Beginning by Colin Low, and found it to be the clearest and simplest book on qabala have read so far. especially since it is so modern. I've moved on to Aleister Crowleys 333 "the book of lies", of which i am starting to get a grasp i believe. Also, i am looking for a book called "fountain of wisdom".

Folckert

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:53 am

Do you know who Fountain of Wisdom was written by? How does A Depth of Beginning contrast with DuQuette's The Chicken Qabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford?
Khephra
Khephra

Back to top Go down

Post  Folckert Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I have barely started The Chicken Qabala but it looks promising.
I will let you know what i think of it. And I have no idea who wrote "The Fountain of Wisdom" but I heard about it somewhere and the name just stuck, if anyone recognizes a book by that name, let me know Wink

Folckert

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-04-05

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 207rd7b

Margaret Bald's Banned Books: Literature Suppressed on Religious Grounds (1998) is one of four volumes issued by Facts on File that spotlight more than 400 books "that have been censored for their political, social, religious or erotic content in the United States and around the world, from bibical times to the present." Ken Wachsberger, the General Editor of the series writes in the introduction as follows: "Fortunately, our country has a strong tradition of fighting censorship... Groups such as the National Coalition of Censorship, The American Library Association's Office for Intellectual Freedom, People for the American Way, the American Civil Liberties Union and the PEN American Center exist to defend the First Amendment, through legal action and raising public awareness. They deserve our moral, political and financial support." A summary of each book is provided along with its censorship history and a bibliography for "Further Reading." - (Banned Books)

I recently discovered this series and have only made it through maybe 1/3 of this volume, but have really enjoyed it so far. Smile
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Aelwyn Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:19 am

Right now I'm still reading Viridarium Umbris: The Pleasure-Garden of Shadow by Schulke.

I'm also reading Magickal Connections: Creating a Lasting and Healthy Spiritual Group by Lisa McSherry.

And for relaxation, I'm reading Irish Linen by Andrew M. Greeley.

I'm always reading at least 3 books at a time. Rolling Eyes
Aelwyn
Aelwyn

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-06-08

http://hedgewitchhollow.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 am

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 41lBkJRVsYL._AA300_SH20_OU01_

The Shurangama Sutra. You can read the earlier edition here (8 vols, includes full commentary): http://www.cttbusa.org/shurangama1/shurangama_contents.asp

The new edition (pictured) is an updated translation. It has some of the commentary of the eight volume set, at least the points that actually referred to the sutra. Pretty interesting work. And I like having a real book to hold in my hands.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty Esoteric Philosophy of Love an Marriage

Post  agrippa777 Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:21 pm

I'm finding this book an interesting read, my respect for Dion Fortune grows. This work while lacking some of the polish and clarity of "The Mystical Qabalah" definitely has some hidden
treasures for those that look.

http://www.amazon.com/Esoteric-Philosophy-Love-Marriage/dp/1578631580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293826829&sr=8-1

93 93/93
Agrippa

agrippa777

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty 3 Different Books

Post  luxigni Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:45 pm

I'm reading 3 different books. I usually like to read contradictory topics and point of views. First, I'm reading Post-modern Magic, by Seth:
What are you currently reading? - Page 3 4149W3964NL._SS500_

It is pretty basic stuff on Magick, but a review is alwalys refreshing.

Secondly, I'm reading the Seven Faces of Darkness, by Don Webb. It is extremely linked to the the TOS magic current, and is very inspiring although sometimes I don't see the point in being so scholarly.

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 51SbHPcxJJL._SS500_

Finally, I'm reading Fundamentals of Thought, by the Church of Scientology. I'm not so naive to think that L. Ron Hubbard actually wrote this book (and everything in the COS library), but I want to know what they say, and I must admit they make pretty much sense, at least for me:

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 51tBGaPQCvL._SS500_
luxigni
luxigni

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:10 am

agrippa777 wrote:93
I'm finding this book an interesting read, my respect for Dion Fortune grows. This work while lacking some of the polish and clarity of "The Mystical Qabalah" definitely has some hidden
treasures for those that look.

Anyone else here who likes Dion Fortune? I've read most of her stuff - not all her novels, and not all the new stuff that Wilby's been putting out. She has a smooth, conversational writing style. I loved her books when I first read them, maybe 25 years ago, but now they'd all seem a bit weak on content. A bit flimsy. You know?

I never liked The Mystical Qabalah. Very amateurish work. Very waffly. There are much better books on the subject. Even in those days, there were two books by her buddies: Waite's Holy Kabbalah, and Regardie's Garden of Pomegranates. Waite's book is still very much worth studying. You can't compare Waite to real kabbalah scholars like Idel and Scholem--Waite was from an earlier generation, anyway--but you almost can.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Funk Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:27 pm

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Sufi

Funk

Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Funk Mon May 23, 2011 2:56 am

On Evangelization in The Modern World

Funk

Registration date : 2011-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post  ezavan Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:27 pm

Diabolical, a compilation of essays about the grimoire tradition and demonology in general put out by the Scarlet Imprint. just read the best essay on actual satanism i think i may have ever encountered while awake...
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Empty what i've been reading

Post  Nicky Lubu Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 pm

[url=[url=What are you currently reading? - Page 3 073871578601_SX140_SY225_SCLZZZZZZZ_[/url][/url]
I've been working on Modern Magick over a year now, i have started with the second edition and purchased the new 12 lessons on the day of release, basically the same thing with better explanation good book for the beginner magickian. Also if you did'nt know it is now exclusively available on TOBZ by a little someone who doesn't want to mention his true identity Wink lol!

[url=]What are you currently reading? - Page 3 000a81c7_medium[/url]
I've already read a few books by peter carroll, i figured, why not read the one every chaos magickian starts with? so far its like a primer of things i already knew from experience.

[url=]What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Mp-regardie[/url]
So far it's a great book, goes into the middle pillar ritual with great detail, good for those who practice high magick or are interested in the QBL

[url=]What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Golden_dawn[/url]
another great book on high magick, if you started with modern magick, this book is pretty much where modern magick came from and then some, Very tuff curriculum but greatly detailed.

[url=]What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Witchs-familiar-spiritual-partnership-for-successful-magic-raven-grimassi-paperback-cover-art[/url]
OK im not a fan of wicca, and am not interested much, don't get all nasty on me please, i had a friend she was a satanist and she hated grimassi i decided to give him a read since i have always wanted to learn more about familiars, half way through and it's a good book so far, but i wouldn't suggest a beginner to read such a book, unless they are good with self hypnosis and astral projection and they need a pet or to go find one.

[url=]What are you currently reading? - Page 3 Kjv1611[/url]
great for qabalists with the old testament and for those to take the journey on becoming the christ self in the new testament.
read it once a long time ago, got enlightened, reading it again with a better understanding.

Last edited by Nicky Lubu on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicky Lubu
Nicky Lubu

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicky Lubu Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:07 pm

I just finished reading Israel Regardie- Middle Pillar.
Very Good Book 5 Stars.
It starts off with the LBRP, moves onto the Circulation of the Body of Light, & ends with a very detailed version of the Middle Pillar Ritual consisting of all 10 Sephiroth with the colors & archangels significating to each body part that the sephiroth are located.
I decided not to read the second part of the book which is just chic cicero going over psychology and its evolution from magic(k), maybe one day if i decide to i'll go back but na.
study back to reading i'll let you know how everything is else is shortly

Last edited by Nicky Lubu on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nicky Lubu
Nicky Lubu

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post  x32 Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:36 am

I am reading The Empty Force provided by a graceful friend ;D
x32
x32

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next