Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your preferred method of divination?

+4
sendoshin
ankh_f_n_khonsu
neutralrobotboy
Khephra
8 posters

Go down

What is your preferred method of divination?

What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap13%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 7 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap25%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 13 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap6%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap15%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 8 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap6%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 3 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap2%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap2%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap12%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 6 ]
What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_lcap17%What is your preferred method of divination? Vote_rcap 17% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 52

What is your preferred method of divination? Empty What is your preferred method of divination?

Post  Khephra Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:36 am

What is your preferred method of divination? Htcmyx

The image above is the design on a cup from around 430 B.C. that shows the Greek Goddess of Justice, Themis, in the sanctuary of Apollon at Delphi.
Seated on the famous tripod of the oracle - priestess Pythia, she reveals her prognostication to King Aigeus who is in want of a son and heir to his throne.
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

What is your preferred method of divination? Empty Re: What is your preferred method of divination?

Post  neutralrobotboy Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:25 pm

...someone voted for everything?

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

What is your preferred method of divination? Empty Re: What is your preferred method of divination?

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:13 pm

Here's the Wiki list of divination. Smile

Personally, I'm into empirimancy, but that one didn't make it on the list. Laughing
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  sendoshin Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:13 pm

I think it's interesting that many of the methods on that list aren't in the archives. At least, there are no references that center around Cartomancy, Oneiromancy, Palmistry, or Sciomancy, and barely anything on Astrology, Numerology, and Scrying - not to mention that the only I Ching reference was to its relationship with DNA - leaving Geomancy the only one really represented, and that by a mere 7 references (the Index will return 11, but four of those are duplicates). Is this an attempt to weight the importance of providing specific divination texts?

- Sendoshin
sendoshin
sendoshin

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://digimob.freewebhostx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:00 am

If you think for a couple of seconds, you'll realise that tarot has been included here under 'cartomancy'.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  sendoshin Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Good point. I was thinking maps for some reason. Probably because of cartography, the science and art of map-making. That being the case, Cartomancy is well represented with 63 results (not including the images of tarot cards scattered throughout).

Still something to consider with reference to future releases. Hopefully we see more of every type of material making its way into the collection.

- Sendoshin
sendoshin
sendoshin

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-25

http://digimob.freewebhostx.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  amandachen Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Have you read any books on palmistry or numerology? They tend to be very basic.
amandachen
amandachen
Admin

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2008-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 am

amandachen wrote:Have you read any books on palmistry or numerology? They tend to be very basic.

Insofar as palminstry, I'd unequivocally agree. In fact, can *anyone* name any 3 or 400 level palminstry literature?

On the other hand, as for numerology, I'd generally disagree. Maybe this is just due to my personal biases, but I could easily rattle off a list of a dozen or so 3 and 400 level numerological texts.
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Frater_NS Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:41 am

Depends in the context the divination is to be used.

When its related to earthly matters, you can't beat geomancy for a quick "yes/no" answer.

Tarot fine for more general use, but is constrained by the symbols of the cards themselves. I find a most of my tarot divinations turn into a channeling of the angel HRU, so technically the cards themselves are not necessary.

Scrying is a good method and certainly one of the most flexible.

Frater_NS

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2008-08-11

Back to top Go down

Post  The_One_True_Fred Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:38 am

The methods I'd really like to see something substantial on would be haruspicy (both Roman and Andean) and augury. I suspect no one wants to touch the former with a ten foot pole, especially in anything close to practical terms.

Voted cartomancy as the one of the above I actually use regularly, especially with the 52-card deck.

The_One_True_Fred

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Back to top Go down

Post  ezavan Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:41 pm

i'm very interested in divination as a human tradition, and have always been open to receiving signs from my environment. i was tempted to list geomancy as my preferred method because runecasting is wicked good fun, and i have a set of runes that i am very happy with. however, i more often rely on a simple kind of impromptu scrying which is really just a sort of boost to my intuition from a crow spirit i bound to a totem several months ago. sciomancy, from my understanding, is the use of a spirit for divination. my familiar is tied to the totem of crow, and, honestly, i evoke it most when i've lost something, it's almost like a radar in my belly that leads me in the right direction. i begin with a visualization exercise focusing on an enormous but extremely lightweight crow on my left shoulder turned towards my ear, ready to divulge secrets. then i create a very specific question, and allow myself to stop focusing on it. this loss of focus (sometimes i literally unfocus my eyes for a moment) is followed usually immediately by a flash of an idea or image or other inspiration. with this kind of divination i think it is most important to be able to still the mind and listen attentively. if the mind is out of control and absorbed by anxieties, fantasies of good results, or bad, or any other distraction (especially concentrating too hard on the issue that caused the consultation) often this inexplicable inspiration will slip through the filter of your mind invisibly like vapor, and no answer will come. sometimes i will also try to connect with this spirit in my dreamscape, causing me to have lucid and easily interpreted dreams that can then be implemented loosely as a guide.
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down