DREAM MENTOR

Go down

DREAM MENTOR

Post  ezavan on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:09 pm

for the past two nights i've been unable to recall my dreams, but have the distinct sense of being educated, specifically about occult phenomena. my lover told me yesterday in the morning that all night i had been talking in my sleep (something not unusual for me) but that instead of it being hilarious mumbled nonsense as per usual, i was talking sensibly about occult concepts. she's a sort of mystic, but not an occultist, and said she didn't understand most of what i said, but that i was talking a lot about "the transition of the soul", and also that nothing about my tone was threatening or disturbing. the night before she made this comment to me i can't remember anything specific, but that there was a sexual sense to the dream (not in the arousing sex-in-a-dream way, but more of a completely non-arousing lesson in orgiastic ritual) and that there was a consistent voice, a totally certain external entity trying to impart a lesson. last nite, a similar phenomena, although i didn't properly fall asleep until around 6 in the morning. it was most like being incapacitated by a fever, my thoughts were all jumbled; assertions of "truth" arising and dispersing rapidly, new ideas replacing them before they could even be processed, as if my mind had become the mouthpiece to some alien wisdom trying to speak too fast for the unfamiliar embouchure.

i've had a minor upper respiratory infection for the last three days, and the coughing may be disrupting my sleep-cycles which would explain why i can't remember the dreams; and i've been reading the logomachy of zos, which has a certain "lecturing" style to it, but i doubt that my conscious education is to blame for this dream-training - i am somewhat distressed but only because i can't clearly recall the content of the dreams; there have been instances in the past that involved an external entity climbing into my head and planting seeds, but only in the liminal post-ritual pre-sleep haze, and there is a definitive "flavor" to these dreams that has me on high alert. has anyone else been through a similar experience? and also, has anyone worked effective spellcraft to make dream-recall easier, or techniques for automatic writing to uncover the intent of the dreaming mind? my intuition is torn here, part of me suggests that i should erect fortifications and protective familiars to maintain my peace while i sleep, and another part strongly encourages me to invite further input from this outer source. it's difficult to say which intuition has my best interest in mind without further understanding of what, actually, is happening.
ezavan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2009-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DREAM MENTOR

Post  neutralrobotboy on Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:18 pm

I don't know how similar my own experiences have been. I've had the sensation of being taught in dreams which I have forgotten, and I've also had the sensation of being initiated or taught in dreams that I remember vividly. But I don't think I've had the sensation of a specific entity trying to teach me a lot of material. My own approach would be to try to shut my mind up and tune in to the "feeling" of that entity while conscious. I'd probably even do some kind of divination on the matter beforehand (i ching, tarot, etc). For me, "meditation" might be a good idea, might not. Anyway, as far as shutting the mind up, in the sense I mean, even a nice hot bath with dim lighting would probably do the trick -- I would be specifically trying to approximate the feeling of relaxing and being half-asleep, but with the fixed intention of probing the question of what is happening and how much I should trust it.

Personally, I've found being able to get into those kinds of "between" states to be incredibly useful. Useful for dream recall as much as creativity and clear insight. I can't remember ever reading about this technique anywhere for dream recall, but what I've found most useful is learning to extend the half-asleep state after/during waking. This might be harder with a partner in bed or anything like an alarm clock or outside noise, since maintaining the between state (hypnopompic) can be a very delicate matter and anything that jolts you into full waking consciousness too soon will probably ruin all your efforts immediately. In any case, strengthening that state of mind also means having the will to wake up just a little more during the normal little breaks in a night's sleep when you might remember a dream and forget it in the morning.

The whole idea behind this method, though, isn't just extending the between state, but solidifying it in your waking memory. Stage one is to extend the half-asleep time long enough to fully recall your dreams from that state. Step two is to then organize the strongest images and events in your head and impress them onto your memory. I usually will force myself to sit up and open my eyes and go over the dream material again. If I notice I've forgotten something that seemed important, I'll lie back down and close my eyes and fix my mind on it and hope for the best. Usually I'll remember it and be able to impress it on my mind clearly enough to have access to it during the day.

Also, I don't know what kind of work you've been doing, but if you haven't already come across it, Wilson talks about the connection to some kinds of occult attainment and respiratory problems. It apparently dogged Crowley to the end, and he claims that both himself and Regardie started to have problems with it which were only resolved by Reichian therapy. Take what you will from that...

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

View user profile http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu on Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:01 pm

It might have something to do with the illness, or it might be something much more sublime. Have you considered taking concrete steps in recording the lessons?
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ezavan on Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:15 pm

i made an effort to record what was coming into my head from friday till last night by both audio monitoring while i slept (laptop mics are great, aren't they?) and writing what i could remember immediately after waking. i also discontinued my daily study of AOS. as soon as these protocol were planned and in place, the dreams stopped, my mic picked up only usual snoring from my partner and mumbling incoherently about spaceships from me. the dream images i recorded were completely typical dreams for me, exploring a big dark city, hanging out in a bath-house, talking to my mom and some soldiers...real mundane stuff. also, the illness that had become full-blown bronchitis cleared up in a matter of only a few hours saturday morning.

i've never encountered the material by wilson mentioned above, but i made a connection between my compromised health and the dream visitations (how could i not?). and, although the source evades me, i've definitely read some cryptic hints about the zos kia cultus that make me wonder...still, confused by the impact that these dreams had and the aura of danger around them i sensed, i tried divination with runes to gain some insight. my results were only marginally helpful. i think i'm just gonna have to wait this out and see what the change in my dreaming consciousness will have on my life. maybe make a better effort to maintain my dream journal. thank you for the suggestions. i'd also really appreciate a reference point for this material by "wilson", whichever wilson it is, because the correlative relationship between my dream issues and lung issues seems synchronous to me (although respiratory problems are not uncommon in my life during this season, in this climate, so...).
ezavan

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2009-06-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:46 pm

i'd also really appreciate a reference point for this material by "wilson", whichever wilson it is, because the correlative relationship between my dream issues and lung issues seems synchronous to me (although respiratory problems are not uncommon in my life during this season, in this climate, so...).

Ahh, yeah. Sorry about that. Robert Anton Wilson. It's only mentioned in passing, I'm pretty sure, in the Cosmic Trigger series (I forget which number). From what I remember, the relevant passages are only 1-2 paragraphs long at most, and don't contain much more information than what I stated in my reply. Maybe see if you can chase up the Regardie claim? I wouldn't be surprised if he had documented the matter in better detail. Both RAW and Regardie have put out quite a lot of material, though... Sorry I can't be of more help there.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

View user profile http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down