Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" -

4 posters

Go down

"Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" - Empty "Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" -

Post  Khephra Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 pm

See the NY Times for the complete article:

The Holy Grail of the Unconscious

This is a story about a nearly 100-year-old book, bound in red leather, which has spent the last quarter century secreted away in a bank vault in Switzerland. The book is big and heavy and its spine is etched with gold letters that say “Liber Novus,” which is Latin for “New Book.” Its pages are made from thick cream-colored parchment and filled with paintings of otherworldly creatures and handwritten dialogues with gods and devils. If you didn’t know the book’s vintage, you might confuse it for a lost medieval tome.

And yet between the book’s heavy covers, a very modern story unfolds. It goes as follows: Man skids into midlife and loses his soul. Man goes looking for soul. After a lot of instructive hardship and adventure — taking place entirely in his head — he finds it again.

Some people feel that nobody should read the book, and some feel that everybody should read it. The truth is, nobody really knows. Most of what has been said about the book — what it is, what it means — is the product of guesswork, because from the time it was begun in 1914 in a smallish town in Switzerland, it seems that only about two dozen people have managed to read or even have much of a look at it.

Of those who did see it, at least one person, an educated Englishwoman who was allowed to read some of the book in the 1920s, thought it held infinite wisdom — “There are people in my country who would read it from cover to cover without stopping to breathe scarcely,” she wrote — while another, a well-known literary type who glimpsed it shortly after, deemed it both fascinating and worrisome, concluding that it was the work of a psychotic.

So for the better part of the past century, despite the fact that it is thought to be the pivotal work of one of the era’s great thinkers, the book has existed mostly just as a rumor, cosseted behind the skeins of its own legend — revered and puzzled over only from a great distance.

Here's the Amazon listing... it's got a 'list price' of $195... Shocked Mad
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

"Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" - Empty Re: "Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" -

Post  neutralrobotboy Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Ok, you've got my attention. I'm going to salivate over this book for a while now. Actually, there's maybe some remote chance I can get my hands on it for free. I'm going to look into that.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

"Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" - Empty Re: "Carl Jung and the Holy Grail of the Unconscious" -

Post  ezavan Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:54 pm

if you figure out how to get your hands on a copy i'd be excited to read it as well
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Ordered today. Net cost to me: $4 MAXIMUM. Probably $0.

neutralrobotboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:52 pm

$0 = pretty sweet deal. Wink
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

Post  ezavan Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 am

yeeeeah boy. now we're talkin.
ezavan
ezavan

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Back to top Go down

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm

cheers
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:22 pm

I guess we'll see if there's an online copy floating around by the time I get my hands on it...

neutralrobotboy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khephra Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:15 pm