Occult.Digital.Mobilization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"You are what you listen to" -

2 posters

Go down

"You are what you listen to" - Empty "You are what you listen to" -

Post  Khephra Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:21 pm

See PhysOrg for the complete article:

You Are What You Listen To
August 27th, 2009

(PhysOrg.com) -- It may not be possible to judge a book by its cover, but judging someone by the contents of their iTunes library could be a very different story, new research suggests.

Studies at the University of Cambridge have revealed that many of us use musical taste both as a means of expressing our own identity, and to form and refine our opinions about other people.

Researchers found that sample groups of subjects regularly make the same assumptions about people's personalities, values, social class and even their ethnicity, based on their musical preferences.

Rock fans, for instance, are commonly held to be rebellious and artistic, but emotionally unstable. Classical music-lovers, on the other hand, are seen as personable and intellectual, but unattractive and a bit boring.

The studies have been led by Dr. Jason Rentfrow, from the University's Department of Social and Developmental Psychology and a Fellow of Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge, who is conducting ongoing research into the links between personality and musical taste.

Irresponsible generalizations? Suspect
Khephra
Khephra

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2008-08-10

Back to top Go down

"You are what you listen to" - Empty Re: "You are what you listen to" -

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Khephra wrote:Irresponsible generalizations? Suspect

Hrm... I don't know if I agree or disagree, but I guess you can't really argue with the hypothesis... Suspect
ankh_f_n_khonsu
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

Back to top Go down