Atlantis in the Andes

Go down

Atlantis in the Andes

Post  neutralrobotboy on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:32 am

I recently saw a documentary made a few years ago called "Atlantis in the Andes". In brief, it outlines one man's theory (somewhat convincingly) that Atlantis was located in modern-day Bolivia -- or rather that Plato's "Atlantis" referred to a city of Atlantis (in Bolivia, in the Altiplano) and a larger area (the South American continent).

The basics of this theory can be found on the website (complete with "HTML n00b/generic fringe theory webpage" aesthetic):

http://www.atlantisbolivia.org/atlantisboliviapart1.htm

Anyway, whatever Atlantis is/was, for my part I enjoy a bit of mind-bending and liked this documentary for that reason. On its face, the Atlantis/South America connection seems ridiculous, but I think that if the low-budget nature of this person's productions can be overlooked (as well as the seeming lack of peer recognition), the overall theory seems fairly reasonable. Worth at least being aware of, anyhow, "true" or not.

Nevertheless, there are a lot of interesting points made in the video (and the site contains some more updated discoveries) which might not prove that South America (and specifically the Altiplano) "was" Atlantis, but are fine things to know about the ancient world, which always seems to look a bit more advanced than we thought. The discovery some years ago of coca and tobacco in a mummified Egyptian pharoah's stomach, for example, should be enough to suggest a highly developed civilization present in the Americas at the time. And the (more recent) discovery (Akakor expedition, according to the website) of ancient walls submerged in Titikaka should also make us sit up and pay attention.

The original documentary can be found here or found online elsewhere with a bit of digging.

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

View user profile http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Atlantis in the Andes

Post  ankh_f_n_khonsu on Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:18 am

The topic of Atlantis might make for a decent poll...

Several different locations have been suggested for Atlantis, but I don't think I've heard Bolivia included in that list. Assuming 'local legend' was interpreted to support the theory, what other evidence was presented?
ankh_f_n_khonsu

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-09-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  neutralrobotboy on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:45 pm

He uses quite a bit of other evidence. Actually, local legend doesn't factor into the original documentary at all, though it's mentioned on the website. If you want to know, the website listed above gives the arguments and it's not outrageously long. It's spread across 4 pages.

If you want a glance at why he thinks this is the best fit for the legendary Atlantis, here's a table he presents of some of the criteria laid out by Plato and most of the known proposed locations for Atlantis and how well they fit:

neutralrobotboy

Number of posts : 255
Registration date : 2008-12-23

View user profile http://www.namelessnumberhead.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down